Saturday 2 March 2013

Modification in action saved my career: Anwar Ali


By Muhammad Asif Khan

KARACHI: The U-19 Cricket World cup triumph of Pakistan in 2006 is still fresh in memories. Pakistan collided with India in the low-scoring final in Colombo where the magical spell of fast bowling by Anwar Ali spearheaded his country's 38-run win. The rookie paceman of that time has now become a force to recon with in the Domestic circuit and owes his recent success mainly to the modification of the bowling action. “After the World Cup I got to play my debut First Class season, where the lengthy bowling spell actually exposed the flaws in my action. Soon after I broke down with side strain.” said Anwar Ali while talking to this correspondent for News One TV.
 
“For the sake of my career I went on to modify my bowling action which turned out productive for me. Now I can effectively bowl both ways with much ease”, added Anwar Ali.

Anwar Ali, 25, said that he had been concentrating on his batting as well, and his performance in the past two seasons was evident of the improvement in his all-round abilities. “The selectors picked him as all-rounder for the India trip late last year, I couldn’t get a chance but I hopeful of getting a go in the future”, said the Karachi-born Right-hander

“After a good outing in the Quaid-e-Azam trophy, now my focus is on the upcoming domestic one-day tournament, where I would strive to get the best bowler’s slot”, concludes Anwar Ali, who made his T20I debut against Zimbabwe in 2008, his only international appearance for Pakistan till date.

Anwar Ali was an important member of the Karachi Blues outfit, which won the recently concluded Quaid-e-Azam Trophy - Pakistan’s premier domestic competition - by beating Sialkot in the final match.


The writer is a Pakistani sports journalist, and tweets @mak_asif

No comments:

Post a Comment